Create a sankey diagram with loops

Metabolism of Cities Library
Back to topic list

Hello everyone,
As I thought you might be used to working with Sankey I have a question,
I am trying to display an MFA with inner loops, so a Sankey diagram with inner loops, some kind of recycling processes for example.
For that I would like to use Python, however I can adapt and use other languages :)
Moreover, I was wondering if you ever thought about how to represent graphically a stock/flow or snakey diagram with a time dimension?
I you have any ideas then I will be glad to hear them.
Thanks and have a good day.
Best regards,
Leon Ferrari

Hi Leon,

That's a great and very relevant question for MFA work. We were in a similar situation where we needed "circular loops" and that's why we built the "Circular Sankey Builder". You might find it useful for your work too and can read more about it here.

As for the time dimension, yes, we did think about it, specifically for the representation of several years. However, we found that there is a need for a single graphic for every year and that it cannot be done well in a single figure. I can recommend to browse the Sankey diagrams page for more inspiration or other ideas, for example https://www.sankey-diagrams.com/energy-usage-timeline-1800-2017/ and see how beautifully they did it for the US Energy History 1800-2017.

I'd be curious to see your result. Feel free to share it here :)
Best,
Carolin